How Do You Know If There Is An Electrical Problem In Your Home?

Posted on: 18 October 2016

These days, electrical power is more than a convenience. It's a necessity you may have trouble living without. But despite the many advantages it provides, electricity can be a dangerous thing. Therefore, once you notice that there may be a problem, it's important to have a qualified electrician identify the source. An electrician can fix electrical problems before damaged or faulty wiring or other electrical components in your home's wiring system increase the risk of fire.

Are the lights in your home flickering?

A blinking or flickering light may be due to more than just a loose light bulb. An electrician can tell you if the problem is with the light fixture or loose wiring in your home's electrical panel box. Loose or corroded connectors, damaged wires, or circuit breakers that are too small can lead to a loss of current, which can then cause lights to flicker.

Large electrical appliances in your home that draw current at the same time also put increased demand on your electrical service. The heavy load can cause electrical connections, wiring, and circuit breakers to overheat. If you notice that the lights flicker or dim each time a major appliance first turns on, you may want to have an electrician install a separate circuit for the appliance as long as your panel box can handle the extra amperage capacity.

Is an outlet throwing sparks?

If an electrical socket throws sparks when you plug in a cord, the outlet may be faulty or there may be a loose wire in the circuit. Turn off the power at the panel box and call an electrician, especially if you smell something burning in the area of an outlet or light switch.

Heat generated by electricity flowing through the wires can cause the insulation covering the wires to melt away. When this happens and an electrical wire is exposed, the wire can touch the outlet's metal casing. The contact can cause the outlet to spark. Although the short circuit should trip the circuit breaker, if the wiring is old, the circuit can overheat and lead to a fire inside your walls.

Do you get even a minor shock when you touch an electrical appliance?

If you get an electrical shock when you touch an appliance, the problem may due to a loose connection. It may also be due to a hot wire coming into contact with the ground wire.

The first thing you should do is unplug the appliance from the socket. Since you don't know whether the problem is with the ground fault in the appliance or a more serious issue with your home's wiring, it's safer to hire a skilled electrician to diagnose and correct the problem than try to do it yourself.

Do you have a circuit breaker that keeps tripping?

If a circuit breaker trips when you plug in an appliance, the circuit may be overloaded. But a breaker that trips often or trips again immediately after you reset the circuit switch can be a sign that the breaker is damaged or old.

Since electrical power continues to enter the breaker box even when the main power switch is shut off, you should have an electrician replace old breakers. It may seem simple enough to replace one breaker with another, but if you do it yourself and use the wrong type circuit breaker, the breaker can overheat and cause a fire.

An electrician will test the circuit breaker to see if there is power. He or she also will look for frayed wires and charring around circuit breakers in the panel box. A breaker that is hot to the touch is another sign of a damaged or faulty circuit breaker.

Contact a company like R & R Electric Co Inc for more information and help dealing with electrical issues in your house.

Share

Talking About Rewiring Your Building

Hello, I am Ryan. When I was looking to upgrade my home, I knew that the wiring in my home needed to be replaced first off. The wiring was unable to handle the demands of my modern entertainment equipment. I contacted an electrician to discuss the wiring replacement process. The job was very involved, but well worth the time and effort. I will use this site to explore the tools and techniques used by electricians when replacing wiring in homes. I would like you to visit my site often to learn about this important task. Thank you for visiting my site.

Latest Posts

Archive